In Windows the service gets stuck in "Starting", as shown in the services applet. It started fine the first time, then I changed my.cnf so data would be stored in a different drive, stopped the service, copied the data directory to the new drive, set the permissions on the new destination so "everybody" would have full rights, then the service started, I loaded a 40 GB of data just fine. Then I stopped the service, and it never started again. I rebooted and it still did not start. I can give you access to the box. It is a development box accessible via remote desktop.
Note: there are no messages in the windows application log.