Status: Closed (View Workflow)
- buffer pool has latches that protect access to pages.
- there is a latch per N pages.
(check page_hash_table for more details)
- N is calculated based on the cacheline size.
- for example: if cacheline size is
: 64 then 7 pages pointers + 1 latch can be hosted on the same cacheline
: 128 then 15 pages pointers + 1 latch can be hosted on the same cacheline
- arm generally have wider cacheline so with arm 1 latch is used
to access 15 pages vs with x86 1 latch is used to access 7 pages.
Naturally, the contention is more with arm case.
- said patch help relax this contention by limiting the elements
per cacheline to 7 (+ 1 latch slot).
for wider-cacheline (say 128), the remaining 8 slots are kept empty.
this ensures there are no 2 latches on the same cacheline to avoid
latch level contention.
Said patch has shown improvement in performance in range of 2-5%.
- relates to
MDEV-22871 Contention on the buf_pool.page_hash