Currently we have in 10.5 master two logrotate files:
I suggest we in future would have only one single mariadb.logrotate(.sh) file that would be used in all distros, both deb and rpm based. There is after all only one logrotate utility and the mariadbd responds to system signals the same way across all distros, and the mariadb-admin etc tools also work close enough on all distros.
I suggest we use the name 'mariadb' from now on, since the binary is 'mariadbd' from 10.5 onwards. Also I suggest we always use 'logrotate' and not 'log-rotate' in filenames, since the name of the utility is 'logrotate'.
There are currently open 2 PRs on fixing this script:
- https://github.com/MariaDB/server/pull/807 (rpm version fixes)
- https://github.com/MariaDB/server/pull/934 (deb version fixes)
There are also multiple Jira issues:
- https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-11884 (Status 'Closed', but wasn't actually fixed by Ondrej in upstream) - deb version, upstreaming of this in PR#934
- https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-13050 - deb version, also fixed in PR#934)
- https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-16621 - delaycompress and sighup suggestions
- https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-16772 - deb version, duplicate pid result fixed in PR#934
- https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-19436 - deb version, duplicate of duplicate pid issue
- https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-20863 - deb version, duplicate of duplicate pid issue
Also to be considered, that in systemd the logs go to journald and /var/log/mysql stays empty.