Having a look into the init script from mariadb-galera-server-5.5 I see some things that are not good. Some of them also fit to mariadb in general.
- kill -9 (See Bug #870310)
- killall mysqld (Do I really want to kill all running mysqld?)
Things that are not good for Galera or are missing for a better Galera support.
- Relying on a credentials file (/etc/mysql/debian.cnf). This is always bad, because it is inconsistent. Restarting/Status-Check a server will break, because the credentials in the file does not match the ones in the database. I wonder why not use any socket-auth.
- Missing Bootstrap for Galera. PXC ships with a bootstrap option. May be worth to think about it.
- The --wsrep-recover Option is ignored. This will most likely prevent a SST after a crash, as it can be used to get the last committed seqno